The Shao Curator will:
- Build relationships and collaborate with select departments and faculty to integrate and promote the Center’s resources nationally and internationally
- Provide research assistance to scholars, locally and internationally, related to the Libraries’ collections on the overseas Chinese and East Asia
- Serve as the Secretariat of the World Confederation of Institutes and Libraries for Chinese Overseas Studies (WCILCOS) and with partner institutions, serve as the organizer of the international conference of the organization.
- Maintain content on the WCILCOS web site and other online guides and databases related to the overseas Chinese and East Asia
- Select and manage library materials related to the study of the overseas Chinese and East Asia
- Participate in the general activities of the Center for International Collections and the department by serving on departmental, library and/or University committees, providing public service and participating in other assigned projects.
- Engage in regular professional development and other related activities in order to bring best practices and innovative approaches to the Ohio University Libraries
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library/information science or an advanced degree in the humanities or social sciences
- Speaking, reading and writing fluency in Chinese and English
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated commitment to assessment and data-informed decision making processes
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Public services and outreach experience
- Research experience or coursework related to the Chinese diaspora
- Reading competency in at least one other primary language related to the Chinese diaspora, such as Dutch, Spanish or a Southeast Asian language
- Familiarity with scholarly resources, reference tools and electronic resources related to Chinese studies or the Chinese diaspora
- Research or work experience in an academic library
- Experience with web content management systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging technologies as utilized in meeting the needs of researchers
Ohio University is a comprehensive, state-assisted institution that is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University (high research activity). The main campus of Ohio University is located in Athens, Ohio, in the scenic foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, 75 miles southeast of Columbus, the state capital. Ohio University offers a student-centered learning experience to 21,000 students enrolled on the Athens campus, 10,000 students on the University’s five regional campuses, and 4,000 e-learning students. The University advances a diverse, dynamic, and collegial atmosphere for students, faculty, and staff.
Term, Salary and Benefits
This is a three year appointment, with possibility for renewal. Salary is commensurate with
experience and education. Ohio University employees enjoy a liberal benefits package including 22 days annual vacation, generous insurance, and a State of Ohio employee retirement or an alternative retirement package.
Review of applications begins immediately; however applications will be accepted until a
suitable candidate is identified. For full consideration, apply by October 31. Position is available immediately. Please apply online at http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/7871
Ohio University is committed to the diversity of faculty, staff and students. Applicants who will enrich the diversity of OHIO’s campus are especially encouraged to apply.