Head of Research Services
Open Faculty Search
The Head of Research Services is responsible for leadership for the research services portfolio in the OSU Libraries, which encompasses traditional and emerging forms of reference service; for analysis of the strategic environment for Libraries, of academic program needs, and of changing user behaviors, preferences, and work practices; and for developing, refining, assessing, and sustaining an evolving program of research services for faculty, researchers, and students throughout the university. The incumbent leads and develops both library faculty and staff through mentoring and planned in-house training; speaks for the Libraries on issues pertaining to the research services suite; and collaborates with colleagues both within and beyond the Libraries in promoting research services as essential to the research productivity and enhanced learning of all members of the University community.
For a detailed job description, please visit: http://library.osu.edu/about/jobs/faculty
· ALA-accredited MLS degree, or its equivalent
· Demonstrated understanding of trends in research processes and practices of faculty, researchers, and students at all levels; knowledge of major trends in scholarly communication, copyright, the research lifecycle, data curation, library assessment, and teaching and learning practices in higher education
· Ability to articulate a vision for a broadened research services portfolio for academic libraries, encompassing the multiple phases of the research life cycle
· Grasp of the strategic environment for research libraries
· Familiarity with best practices for reference and research consultation services
· In-depth knowledge of the current research on user behavior
· Ability to conduct research on user behavior and to use findings in developing services and program
· Supervisory experience in an academic or research library, or equivalent experience
· Demonstrated leadership ability and capacity to inspire staff
· Familiarity with interdisciplinary research, teaching, and learning trends in higher education
· Familiarity with various models of learning and research commons, and ability to conduct program planning in conjunction with facilities planning
· Demonstrated ability to form teams and collaborate with a wide range of colleagues within and beyond the library
· Experience with strategic planning, staff development, and budgets
· A track record of successful experimentation and innovation in program development
· Capacity for change leadership
This is a full-time, permanent, 12-month tenure-track faculty appointment. Salary and faculty rank are dependent on qualifications and experience.
The University offers competitive benefits in the form of 22 days vacation, 15 days sick leave, 10 holidays, hospitalization, major medical, surgical-medical, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, and life insurance at 2.5 times one’s annual salary. State and alternative retirement choices are also available. For a summary of benefits, see: http://hr.osu.edu/hrpubs/ben/fs-bensummaryreg.pdf
Founded in 1870, The Ohio State University is a comprehensive, state-assisted university offering a complete environment for learning for its 3,000 faculty and 60,000 students. Additional information about The Ohio State University Libraries is available at http://library.osu.edu.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received after October 28, 2011 and before January 29, 2012. Please send cover letter, CV and references via email using the subject line of Head of Research Services Applicant to:
The Ohio State University Libraries
1858 Neil Avenue Mall
Columbus, OH 43210
614-247-8887 / firstname.lastname@example.org
To build a diverse workforce Ohio State encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women. EEO/AA employer.