The UWM Libraries seeks an innovative professional as Coordinator of Digital Collections at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. This is an opportunity to continue a well-established program of digitizing selected collections from UWM’s rich image collections and to enhance library services and resources in support of teaching, scholarship and research.
UWM Libraries currently hosts 27 digital collections via CONTENTdm, developed over the past several years. Digital collections include a wide variety of formats, such as rare books, maps, manuscripts, photographs, audiovisual materials, and born-digital materials. UWM has a large inventory of materials for future projects as well as commitments to current projects.
The ideal Digital Collections Coordinator requires a combination of excellent project planning and priority-setting skills, ability to communicate and work in a variety of environments with staff, faculty, administrators, colleagues in-depth knowledge and direct experience with digital collection building, copyright, and international standards and trends, solid technical skills, and an intellectual appreciation of special collections in all formats and the context of their organization and use. The Digital Collections staff consists of full-time and part-time staff and has traditionally included a number of students, interns, and field workers. This position is responsible for providing excellent customer service in a professional manner and serving as a model representative of UWM and the Libraries.
The Digital Collections Coordinator reports to the Assistant Director of Systems and Digital Initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Planning of both the digitization program and specific collections.
- Project management, including establishing plans with timelines and producing reports and estimating resource requirements for each project.
- Supervise staff and student assistants.
- Develop appropriate benchmarking and quality control standards for each project.
- Work collaboratively across library departments with staff to resolve issues, including networking, hardware, software, technology platforms, security, copyright, metadata creation and editing, subject expertise, workflow, quality control and preservation of digital media.
- Foster a climate of collaboration, experimentation, and creativity.
- Serve as a resource for other campus departments for digital projects.
- Maintain existing collections
- Maintain statistics to measure resources usage
- Participate in related Library activities and committees, including chairing the Libraries Digitization Committee
- Develop and maintain awareness of current and emerging metadata standards
- Master’s degree in library science, information science, or related field
- Minimum three years experience designing and building digital collections with CONTENTdm or other digital management software
- Thorough knowledge of the process of development and implementation of digital-library-related projects.
- Knowledge of digitizing technologies and the ability to apply them within the research library environment , and demonstrated experience with a wide range of analog and digital formats
- Understanding of digital library standards, including knowledge of XML, OAI, EAD, and MARC formats.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, LAMP environment, web design basics, usability and accessibility standards, and ability to work with specialized technical support staff.
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Direct experience in Web-based information delivery
Salary and Appointment:
Benefits include paid vacation and sick time, health and life insurance.
Application: Please apply online at https://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/7144