Raynor Memorial Libraries
Position: Associate Dean for Scholarly Resources and Collections
Reports to: Dean of Libraries
Marquette University Libraries seek a dynamic and service-oriented librarian for the position of Associate Dean for Scholarly Resources and Collections with responsibilities for administering print and digital resources for Raynor Memorial Libraries and managing collection and information resources policy development; leads and informs the Libraries and academic departments on issues and trends in scholarly communication; develops strategic direction for collections with the Libraries’ Leadership Council; fosters effective working relationships with library and academic department colleagues, enhances and assesses service quality related to print and digital collections; maintains a significant role in library-wide planning initiatives.
Specific responsibilities include
· Leading twenty subject liaisons in collection development activities, designing work processes and services that support research and scholarship
· Monitoring and evaluating trends and developments relevant to academic libraries, particularly in the areas of information resources and scholarly communication
· Coordinating preparation and allocation of the Libraries’ collection budget of approximately $7 million
· Providing oversight of the Libraries’ digital projects and the Libraries’ institutional repository, including supervision of the Digital Projects Unit
· Initiating library and campus discussions on information resource and development in light of changes in scholarly communication in consultation and collaboration with the Dean of Libraries
· Working with vendors and the University’s General Counsel Office on negotiating new and existing licenses for electronic resources;
· Representing the Libraries at the local, regional, and national arenas as appropriate;
· Serving as a member of the Libraries’ senior administrative team and contributing to strategic planning, program development and evaluation, budget formulation, and allocation of resources in support in support of the Libraries’ mission, particularly as related to collections and information resources.
Qualifications: Significant experience with or knowledge of collections, information resources, institutional repositories; at least five years of increasingly responsible experience in an academic or research library, including at least three years in an administrative capacity; demonstrated knowledge of trends in scholarly communication, the open access movement, and collection and information resource development; demonstrated leadership to effect change in a challenging and complex information environment, with vision, creativity and innovation; management style that is inclusive and empowers others; effective supervisory experience; demonstrated initiative in program development; strong analytical and decision-making skills; excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills; and experience in planning; demonstrated commitment to diversity; demonstrated record of professional involvement at the regional and national level; Master’s degree in library /information science from an ALA accredited program. The Associate Dean must meet the requirements for appointment at the full librarian rank.
Marquette University is an independent, Catholic, Jesuit doctoral-granting institution with an enrollment of 12,000 located near downtown Milwaukee. Two adjacent and connected library buildings seat 2,150 and house a 1.7 million volume collection, 300+ networked resources, and over 22,000 electronic journals. http://www.marquette.edu/library/
For full consideration submit application online by February 15, 2011 to the university’s application site: