The University Library seeks a collegial, committed, and energetic librarian to provide leadership and guidance in developing, delivering, maintaining and assessing the library’s cataloging and metadata services.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian coordinates the cataloging of library materials, regardless of format, including monographs, continuing resources, media, maps, ETDs and special collections. The successful candidate will work closely with staff to evaluate and document policies, procedures and efficient workflows for cataloging, database maintenance and non-MARC metadata creation within the department; and, work with Digital Library Services and other departments to establish relevant metadata policies, procedures and workflows for digital projects. As a faculty member, the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian will perform administrative duties and participate in university and professional activities, including research, publication, planning and decision making processes for the department and library.
The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian reports to the Head of Technical Services.
For additional information about the Georgia State University Library: http://www.library.gsu.edu
· ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science
· Experience working in an academic library
· Experience with MARC, AACR2R, LCSH, LC Classification and OCLC Connexion
· Knowledge of various non-MARC metadata formats, such as Dublin Core, EAD, Mets and MODS
· Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
· Commitment to providing user-oriented services
· Ability to pass a background check
· Reading knowledge of one or more non-English Western European languages
Salary and Rank:
Minimum salary of $44,000 for 12 months. Salary commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Appointment at a faculty rank, on a contract renewal basis.
Submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications; resume; name, address and phone number of three references, including immediate supervisor. Review of materials will begin October 11, 2010 and continue until the position is filled. Send materials to:
Human Resources Coordinator
Georgia State University
100 Decatur Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303-3202