Western Washington University
Deadline: November 10, 2008
Western Washington University Libraries seeks a librarian with flexibility, enthusiasm, initiative, and decisiveness to provide leadership and direction to its Instruction and Research Services Department. This key position is responsible for developing a vision for implementing and assessing the Libraries’ instruction and reference services for students, faculty and staff in support of their research, teaching and learning. This person will enhance a well-established and successful academic department liaison program, incorporate best practices into instruction and reference services, and promote the use of emerging technologies. The successful candidate must be an accomplished leader, skilled in managing change, and flexible in response to user expectations.
1. Develops, implements, and assesses new ideas and innovations for Instruction and Research Services
2. Coordinates and assesses the Libraries’ instruction and reference services, including the academic department liaison program
3. Develops policies and procedures for Instruction and Research Services
4. Supervises ten faculty librarians, three reference specialists, and one office assistant
5. Promotes staff development and advances the growth of librarians as teachers
6. Collaborates with other library departments and the University community
7. Provides reference service and teaches as part of the instruction program
8. Coordinates the selection of materials for the reference collection
An MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited program
5 years experience, of which at least three are in increasingly responsible, substantive positions relating to reference and instruction in an academic or research library
Substantive experience in management or supervision in an academic or research library
Evidence of outstanding teaching
Evidence of the creation, delivery, and assessment of innovative user-centered services
Demonstrated skills in leadership and interpersonal communication
Ongoing publication and service record suitable for appointment at the associate professor rank
This is a full-time tenured faculty position at the rank of Associate Professor. The candidate’s record must show sufficient professional accomplishments to warrant the terms of this appointment. The position reports directly to the Dean of Libraries. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit applications by November10th, 2008. The position will be available February 1, 2009. The position will remain open until filled.
Please send a letter of application detailing your qualifications in relationship to those stated above, a curriculum vitae, and a list of three references to Ms. Connie Mallison, Search Committee Coordinator; Western Washington University; The Libraries, 516 High St.; MS 9103; Bellingham, WA 98225, or send by email to Connie.Mallison@wwu.edu. For more information, please contact Connie Mallison at (360) 650-3051.
For the full position description ,please go to