- Under the direction of the Head of the Electronic Resources Cataloging Unit, the duties and responsibilities of this position are to:
- Independently catalog electronic resources in all subjects and in all Western European languages.
- Create or edit bibliographic records for all types of electronic resources according to nationally and locally established procedures.
- Assist in the maintenance required to ensure ongoing access to the library’s cataloged electronic resources.
- Participate in batch loading records for collections of online journals and electronic books.
- Assist in training staff to catalog and maintain access to electronic resources.
- Contribute to reviewing, developing, and writing local procedures and documentation.
- Investigate and resolve problems referred to the unit.
- Participate in unit, division, and library-wide committees, task forces, projects, and other collaborative initiatives.
- Further information may be found at www.lib.umich.edu/hr/employment/ercat.html
- ALA accredited master’s degree in library or information studies
- Working knowledge of standard cataloging and classification practices
- Experience with network-based automated bibliographic systems
- Reading knowledge of one or more non-English Western European languages
Strong analytical and problem solving skills covering a broad range of complexity
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with a diverse staff
- Ability to learn complex procedures, perform detailed work, and exercise good judgment
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and work productively
- Flexibility in a dynamic and changing environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Awareness of current trends and issues in cataloging and the management of electronic resources
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Commitment to personal and continuing professional development
RANK, SALARY, AND LEAVE
Final rank and salary dependent on experience and qualifications; position is anticipated to be filled at the Assistant or Associate Librarian level. (However, this position may be filled at the Assistant, Associate, Senior Associate, or full Librarian level.) Professional positions receive 24 days of vacation a year; 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits as well as opportunities for professional development and travel.
RETIREMENT OPTIONS: TIAA-CREF or Fidelity Investments
Send cover letter & resume to Bob Campe, Library Human Resources; 404 Hatcher Graduate Library North; University of Michigan; Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1205 either by US Mail or email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Call 734 764-2546 with questions or for further information.)
Review of applications will begin on 6/2/08 and continue until the position is filled.
The University of Michigan is a non-discriminatory, affirmative action employer.